Tuesday, May 26, 2009

3rd Year

I finished the last final of my 2nd year on Thursday. It is amazing how fast time has gone by and how much I have learned since starting medical school. This morning I got to start my 3rd year at San Francisco General Hospital. I was so nervous this morning getting ready and driving to the hospital. The first day at any clinic because you don't know what you're expected to know, what type of patients you will be dealing with, or even where you are going. I felt a little overwhelmed walking towards the hospital this morning, unsure of where I was supposed to be.

San Francisco General Hospital is a very large teaching hospital and a large portion of the personnel there are still students in medical school or residency. It was very cool to walk into the hospital this morning and step into the elevator filled with residents and attending physicians. It felt almost like being in Grey's Anatomy or Scrubs. Anywho...back to my day.


Everything turned out fine and we were able to see three patients in just under 4 hours. (Would you be patient enough to spend over an hour with your doctor? I don't know if I would have exhibited the same patience our patients had.) However, it was a great experience for us as students because we were able to ask questions and discuss the pathology with the doctor while the patient was still in the exam chair. I'm current completing a biomechanics rotation so we talked alot about how an individual's foot architecture can make them more prone to experience problems(i.e. pain) in their feet. We'll be learning alot about orthotics and how to properly utilize orthotics to help stabilize these feet.

So it was a fantastic start to my 3rd year and 2nd half of medical school. I am so glad to be able to have these experiences and learn from so many people.

3 comments:

Kelsey said...

Congrats on the next big step! I think I'd be nervous too! Sounds like things went great, which I expect from you. :)

shaunie said...

I'm jealous...I've really been anticipating going back to school in a few years, it'll be fun (and crazy) when I finally get there. I can imagine you would be nervous, I would feel intimidated by the hospital. You'll do great, I'm sure.

Michael and Anita said...

Congratulations on finishing your 2nd year and starting rotations! How exciting!